Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » export in us7ascii and import in utf8
export in us7ascii and import in utf8 [message #52378] Thu, 18 July 2002 06:18 Go to next message
simone mariani
Dear all,
I have problems on some characters in this situation:

- Oracle 8.1.7.2 on solaris 7/8
- DB_source: oracle instance created with NLS_characterset=us7ascii
- DB_target: oracle instance created with NLS_characterset=utf8

Action::
I made an Export from DB_source using environment variable: NLS_LANG=American_America.us7ascii;

Fromthat .dmp file I made an import on DB_target, using environment variable: NLS_LANG=American_America.us7ascii;

PROBLEM:: in the DB_source I was able to insert characters like è,à,ù, in the DB_target I see these characters in a different form; h,', ecc.

What has happened, what can I do?

Thank you.
kind regards.
Simone Mariani
qarana solutions spa, italy
Re: export in us7ascii and import in utf8 [message #52385 is a reply to message #52378] Thu, 18 July 2002 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
That is kind of strange..

US7ASCII is latin based character set, and you inserted Cyrilic characters into it. Can you read those characters on the DB_source from SQL*Plus or application? Are they stored the way you inserted them??

Eager to learn...

Regards,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

[url=http://www.dbaclick.com]Visit our Web Site

Re: export in us7ascii and import in utf8 [message #52390 is a reply to message #52378] Thu, 18 July 2002 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
Did you set NLS_LANG to American_America.UTF8 before you imported on the target?
Re: export in us7ascii and import in utf8 [message #52400 is a reply to message #52390] Thu, 18 July 2002 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simone mariani
Thank you.
Actually I tried to set NLS_LANG to utf8 on the unix user used to import the dmp, but oracle "imp" said that it was not possible to import it that way, so I had to put US7ASCII.

So the situation was:
- export from a db created with us7ascci
done in us7ascii environment
- import on a db created in utf8
done in us7ascii envoronment.

--->> problems of 'è' changed in 'h';

I tried also this way:
- export from a db created with us7ascii
done in utf8 environment
- import on a db created in utf8
done in us7ascii environment; then tried also utf8 environment.

Nothing chenges.
I think the matter is that the client application my developers used to insert data is on Windows and it had an environment with registry key we8iso8859p1
thanks.
Simone
Re: export in us7ascii and import in utf8 [message #52413 is a reply to message #52390] Fri, 19 July 2002 08:09 Go to previous message
Grant
Not sure how you would have inserted accents anyway. US7ASCII is a 7 bit character and accents are in the 8th bit. That is why you need we8iso8859p1 or utf8 for that. I may be wrong but that is how I understand it. Is it possible the characters are there because windows is doing it. Are the accents visible from sqlplus on the unix machine?
Previous Topic: Re: About copy data between database
Next Topic: How to see Archive log message
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 14:48:23 CDT 2024