Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » locking of packages
locking of packages [message #52272] Thu, 11 July 2002 16:03 Go to next message
Radek
hi,
we have reoccuring problems with locks on packages. In average I have about 100 sessions in database. When I issue DDL command that is invalidating package dependent on a changed table and the same time package is being used by another session, this package is locked and there is no way to release lock other than killing session that is executing package. That's probably status quo and there is no way around. What I would like change is timeout for waiting for lock. Currently it is about 10 minutes. Is there anyway how to change it? I was not able to find in documentation and on metalink.I would really appreciate if somebody could point me to some documentation about this problem.
Thank you,
Radek
Re: locking of packages [message #52289 is a reply to message #52272] Fri, 12 July 2002 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant
Objects will become invalid when what is in memory doesn't match what is in the dictionary. Oracle will lock the object to compile it so if you have users trying access it they may get ORA-4020. The best way to handle this is to make changes during off hours and recompile all objects that are invalid using ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlrp.sql after version 8. You cannot change the timeout for this because it is internal to Oracle. Of course I could be wrong so if anyone else has any ideas do reply.
Re: locking of packages [message #52293 is a reply to message #52272] Fri, 12 July 2002 07:57 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
There was parameter DISTRIBUTED_LOCK_TIMEOUT which was eliminated in 8i. With it you could setup the number of seconds a distributed transaction waits for a lock.
If a session waits longer than this for the lock then ORA-2049 is signalled.

This parameter can be useful to set a time-limit on statements. The session only needs to be using a DBLINK for this behaviour (timeouts) to be enabled.

Other than that there is no way to control the locking timeout.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our web site [url=http://www.dbaclick.com]Click Here

Previous Topic: Oracle 9I lite
Next Topic: Next Extent Fail
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 15:01:20 CDT 2024