Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » damage to database
damage to database [message #52269] Thu, 11 July 2002 14:47 Go to next message
Venkat
Hi gurus,

Recently some one has dropped some tables in our development database, I couldn't track down the guilty, bcos I have the audit_trail disabled in the init.ora, would any body share some thoughts on how to track down the information, particularly when some body drops some thing assuming that the audit_trail option is enabled. My question is what are the data dictionary views which will be updated, and how to get the exact info. And aslo what is the over head from the point of view of performance degradation and resource utilisation point of view if we set the audit_trail optin in the init.ora.
Any updations in this regard are highly appreciated

thanks in advance,
Venkat.
Re: damage to database [message #52297 is a reply to message #52269] Fri, 12 July 2002 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
It is not true that you can not track the troublemaker. Read for Log Miner and learn how to use it. You can pinpoint the user and the exact time when it was done.

By enabling the auditing on the DB you will be putting I/O (to write the audit info), CPU (to update the data dictionary), and disk space into constant strugle. DO NOT DO FULL DB AUDIT !!!

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our web site [url=http://www.dbaclick.com]Click Here

Re: damage to database [message #52302 is a reply to message #52297] Fri, 12 July 2002 14:02 Go to previous message
Venkat
Hi,

Can we do this even after the whole database refresh.
I mean some damage took place before the refresh, and after that we refreshed the database, is there any way for us to come up and say,this is what has happened?

Thanks,

Venkat
Previous Topic: Really Urgent!!!
Next Topic: Setting DBMS_OUTPUT limit per user
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 14:46:20 CDT 2024